As we move into the next decade, I reflect on the last 12 months as your County Commissioner and WOW what an amazing year it has been again. I have said this before but will say it again how incredibly proud I am to be your lead volunteer for Girlguiding Nottinghamshire. We have a fantastic team of both volunteers and employed staff who work so well together to ensure the girls have amazing opportunities and adventures.
Here are some of my particular highlights in 2019:
- visiting many units across Nottinghamshire as they celebrate important birthdays / AGM’s e.g. 1st Carlton Guides 90th Birthday
- celebrating Thinking Day with our Trefoil Guild
- attending the Nottinghamshire Scout and Guide Gang Show where I met some of the original cast of 50 years ago and the first girls who took part in the show
- county training day and our county team day
- our WOW event at Nottingham Girls’ High School encouraging our older guides to continue to challenge themselves with what we have to offer them
- receiving the Lord Lieutenants Award for promoting community engagement through volunteering
- attending our first Nottinghamshire Pride parade
- supporting International events
- presenting county awards to both volunteers and girls
- attending our fourth Ginormous Choir event
- being part of Brownie Blast with over 400 girls at PGL Caythorpe
and lots more …..
I would like to take this opportunity to thank our advisors, coordinators and commissioners who give up so much of their valuable time to support us all and help us to deliver safe guiding. I would particularly like to thank my Assistant County Commissioners Kayleigh and Kirstie for their support with overseeing events, a new website, properties, partnerships, PR and lots, lots more.
As we look forward into 2020, I am mindful my appointment is passing quickly as your County Commissioner. With just over a year left I have one ambition to leave Girlguiding Nottinghamshire in the best possible place it can be to move forward with the next 5 years. I have three priorities to ensure our strategy is delivered:
- To grow Girlguiding Nottinghamshire and launch the #teamnotts approach to growth (we will need each other to do this!)
- To ensure we are all delivering safe guiding by making sure we are compliant with both Safe Space and First Response training
- To widen opportunities for international experiences
I look forward to making this happen with your support and as always would love to hear your ideas and thoughts. At the last count we have over 1000 Nottinghamshire girls and leaders going to Celebrate 2020, the Midlands Thinking Day event at the NEC. It certainly looks like its going to be an amazing day and great to celebrate together in a fun and exciting way.
We also have a few places left on the county training weekend in April. This will be our first training weekend for some time and we have some exciting activities being planned. Please do join us and take up the special offer. Further details on the website.
Finally, Happy New Year everyone, enjoy time celebrating with your family and friends. I look forward to seeing you in 2020.